Saturday, May 2, 2009

Surgery #5

Well folks, my last post was just before surgery #4 where I had 3 options of outcome. You guessed it, I came out of surgery with a VAC on my head again. As the doctors lifted one of my skin flaps they saw that my galea had turned to mush. the galea is a fatty cottage cheese tissue layer that connects to the skull. Our scalps connect to the Galea. They removed the Galea from that area and laid the flap down onto my skull. All this is causing a little flap rotation which in turn will cause me to have another small skin graft on my head.
Most of you know that I have kept a strong sense of humor and good attitude but after coming out of surgery I got pretty low. It was real hard to open my eyes to another Vac and at least one more surgery. I am feeling better now and am ready to fight some more. My mom and I are encouraging each other to stay tough as she battles cancer and I battle this wound. My mother is "the" toughest non compalining person I know. She is always cheerful despite many many months of not feeling well. As I hit day 45 in all this I am once again reminded of those who suffer for much longer.
I go into surgery on Monday morning 5-4-09. I will most likely spend the night or two and then be home for more recovery.
My eye still has Iritus but is not giving me any pain. the drops I'm on has me not seeing so well but that's OK.
My legs are working a little better and that is encouraging. My finger tips still have the numb/asleep feeling but it seems like the numbness is mostly in the tips of my fingers and not the whole hand.
All we can do is pray. Pray that all this flap stuff will take to my head. Pray that I can stay stong mentally. Thanks for reading this. Your support is perfect...thank you!!!!
Todd

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Todd...

    So sorry to hear of this latest complication. Praying healing on your beautiful head!

    We send so much love! (I'm supposed to be in a board meeting right now but I've been it for almost 2 days now and I'm ditching!"

    Hugs and kisses!

    Byron and lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the elephant bullet - love you man. jeff (k)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the difficult week, Todd. You are in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your set back. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. Grace to you Todd!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have the right state of mind to get you through this. God his given you a new voice and a lot of people are listening. Our prayers are with you, count your blessings every day, and God bless! Julie Angelos Lama and Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Todd,
    Can I humbly encourage you that it will not be your gratitude nor good attitude that turns the tide so don't be afraid of the darkness? You have shown me this over the many years in which I have watched you trust Jesus for many things. Don't forget darkness is as light to Him Who is in both. We are wishing you didn't have this difficult journey, Todd, and hoping for more light than dark. So thankful we can cry out to Jesus in our pain. Crying for you with HOPE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you today as you had early morning surgery. We send love and prayers, love and prayers, love and prayers. -Byron and lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read every post Todd. Glory to God for your perseverance in the midst of suffering. I'm praying for you to have stamina for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Know that we are thinking of you and sending BIG hugs and kisses your way from Portland. We are so inspired by your courage and strength. Stay strong and know that we love you very much!

    Amanda, Fred and Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are praying for you everyday Todd. I am so sorry you have had so much to deal with. I will also pray for your Mom. Blessings of hope and courage - God is actively with you.

    ReplyDelete