Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Don't say Wound, Don't say VAC!

Hello to my trusted friends and family.
I made the familiar ride down the halls on my way to surgery and was met with the usual chipper and friendly surgical staff. I transferred over to the operating table and saw the big light as I looked up to the ceiling. My anaesthesiologist gave me a painless IV and things got cool inside my veins. I had some oxygen via mask and as I looked up to Salar who was coming by, everything went blank.
Oh the bliss of being under! I awoke to my wonderful friendly nurse Patricia and of course one of the first things we talked about was what was on my head and coming out of my head. Patricia gave me the good news about not having a "VAC" on my head. Yeah! segway...Have you ever seen that movie Lost in America? There is a seen where Albert Brooks wife blows all their money at the gambling table...even the ever sacred "nest egg" money. He was quite upset with her and was shocked by what she had done. Albert Brooks in his anger says to his wife, " you may never say nest egg ever again...Don't say Nest!...Don't say egg!... It was a funny movie and I encourage you to see it. I think of the "nest line when I think of the Wound Vac...Don't say "Wound", Don't say "Vac" ever again---hah. Its not really all that bad but after being a guy who used to "get up and go" the WV is limiting and a nuisance! At the same time it is a privilege to have such great technology even though it may be annoying.
The doctors said my head looked really good. No infection. They are being careful to only do small adjustments to my head and that is what they did. Dr. Peter and Kirt moved my flaps ever so slightly and sowed and stapled it all down just right. As I mentioned before they were going to do a skin graft but they installed cadaver skin ( temporary graft)on my new open areas to make sure things don't get infected or get messed up. It is getting a little confusing for me as to all they are doing and why but I do trust them and that trust will lead me to surgery #6. On Thursday I will have a small 3/4 x 2 inch graft. Lord willing, this will be the last one for a long time. There is talk that I will need to stay in the hospital till Sunday but I am hoping I can leave and come back..We'll see. They want to keep close tabs on this final and important step of my recovery. Electrical wounds are very tricky and tough to treat. The wound keeps throwing challenges at my awesome docs and they just take it all in stride one surgery at a time. Thank you.
Currently I am wrapped up like a super mummy with a small tube coming out of my head and a little bottle tucked in the wrapping that captures extra fluid. I call it the Poor man's Vac because it acts a little like the WV in that it draws the fluid out of the wound area? I could have it all wrong though. I also got a great reminder of why I don't take the narcotic family of drugs for pain. For some reason I was given Delotted and spent the day trying to feel better. On the way home in the car I "exited" the things in my stomach and felt much better. Even though I am not officially allergic to narcotics I have it as an allergy on my chart for further use. The walking has gotten better though surgery sets me back a little as I get all the anaesthesia and drugs out of me. The fingers are still the same and I rarely even think about the scars from my burns up and down my right arm.

My favorite hymn is Take My Life And Let it Be. In the second verse says:

Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of thy love
Take my feet and let the be swift and beautiful for Thee.

I look forward to days of hands moving and swift feet and moving those hands and feet at His impulse.
God is Good.
Todd

3 comments:

  1. Todd! What great news! Woo hoo! Hey, but what bad timing you have. We'll be in SB Thurs-Sunday while you're down here. We go up on Wed and return on Monday. Byron's dad and sister will be with us and my folks and it's all about celebrating Jesse.

    Great pick on they hymn. That's one of my favorites.

    We send love.
    byron and lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, Thanks for keeping up the blog and keeping us informed. I love hearing the story as it comes from you.

    Love and Prayers,
    Susie Buie Noe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd that's so good to hear!! How is the woman doing that was in your burn unit? She's always in the back of my mind when I read your blob. Have you been able to meet with her? I prayed today for the woman given the name "HOPE" and her children. Grace to you!!

    ReplyDelete