Saturday, May 16, 2009

Graphic pics of my head.




Hello my strong stomached friends. I had a great doctor's visit on Friday. Things looked so good that Dr. Peter pulled out all my staples. When they install the staples they shoot down and instead of bouncing off the bottom of a stapler and folding in, they bounce off my skull and fold in.....NOT. Just kidding. Are you awake now? No, the staples are very short and have a little wiggle in each leg. They simply wiggle into my scalp and have great holding power. One of the advantages of having parts of my head without feeling is that when the doc pulls the staples, you don't feel it. Cool. My next doctor visit is in 11 days. I was going twice per week. Cool number 2! I can wear a hat and it covers my entire wound area. This is much quicker than a bandanna and, I might add, very stylish! ha. Cool number 3. I am going to start light exercise and see if I can get these skinny legs to cooperate. I was told by a doctor friend of mine that a person looses 14% of their muscle mass by being in bed for a week! Ouch! May 19 will represent 60 days since the accident. At least half those days were in bed and the other half have been with very little movement. Needless to say I have some work to do! Cool number 4. Speaking of work....I will make my first job site meeting on Monday at 8 a.m. its time to stop fooling around and get some work done! Cool number 5
I suppose I will run into people for quite some time who will be seeing me for the first time since the accident. I ran into Ed who was one of the contractors at Potter's Clay. I was grateful for his enthusiastic hello. We kind of re-lived the day I was hurt and it reminded me that I am a blessed fortunate man. By many accounts I should have died but God has other things in mind. Cool number 6. I have way less male entitlement thoughts and feelings...you know, like, Man I deserve this or I deserve that. Boy am I working hard, I deserve a vacation. Look at my achievements and service, I deserve good health and long life for me and my family Etc. My thoughts are now more like, Wow.. today is one more day than I should have had. Sweet. My wife has a husband and my children have a father. Everything post 3-19-09 is bonus, a gift, extra or as my friend Rocky says. "Gravy". But really all of life on this earth is bonus and we should be grateful for it. The real bonus, the real deal, is when we go to heaven after a life of believing who Jesus said He is. Until then its some ups, some downs, tragedies and blissfulness. How we handle "life" is a test that we all must pass because when we get through this life with gratefulness, thankfulness, Belief, love and kindness...its when the "Living" truly begins! Cool number 7.
I hope the pictures are appropriate. I posted the most tame ones we took. If you look at the skin graft spots ( slick bald spots), that's where my scalp "used" to be. you can see in one of the pics where my scalp looks a little bunched up and has a rumpled rotated look. That's because...well, it got rotated! hah. My graft areas are supposed to flush out with my hair line with the build up of scar tissue. No I will not have hair growing back on the graft areas. I think I am going to start a new trend with my new hair style! ha. Yes there is another "wonder" surgery to get all my hair back but its the last thing on my mind. I just want to heal and heal I am. Cool number 8.
Last on my list is "Cools" is you...My awesome friends and family who have supported me, encouraged me, held me, did for me, loved me, loved my family, so I say Thank you, God Bless You! COOL NUMBER 9.
All for now-----love todd.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, Todd! This post has no title so maybe you can name it "Warning!" ;-) So many good things to celebrate with you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the impression from the posts... that you had one scalp "hole"... but am I correct? the pictures show two "holes"////
    Warren Currie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Warren,
    The "holes" you refer to I think are the 2 skin graft areas. These areas are not where my single wound was. My scalp was rotated from two areas to cover up the wound. Make sense? The original wound could not have a basic skin graft over it. It had to have a full thickness scalp over it thus the scalp rotation.
    Thanks
    todd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Todd!
    It is wonderful to see you looking so good! I just want you to know that I'm praying for you and your family and for God's protection. You are an incredibly strong person, it is a huge encouragement for me that you have such a positive attitude and strong faith/ hope in God. Many blessings for the summer and I look forward to seeing you again next year!
    love and blessings,
    Julia (from PC)

    ReplyDelete