Friday, May 29, 2009

Released!

Released from what? Well, at my last doctors visit Dr.Peter and dr Kirt said it was time to play! I have been given full clearance to start any and all activities. After a week of chin wrap and soft spot, this is awesome news! I will have to admit I was getting a little rebellious with my chin wrapping toward the end of the 7 day sentence. After some 50-60 days out of 70 with Vacs and gauze and Mepolex and the like, I was getting a bit ancy to be free. It was music to my ears to have them say that the wrapping is over.
Concerns? Not too many.
1.There is a chance that I might get some in grown hairs on my head from how my scalp is growing in on each other.
2.My eye still has Iritus and after some rebellion in the eye drop department, my eye started to hurt some today. Note to self. Take eye drops.
3. Fingertips still numb and tingly.
4. My feet are a bit numb and tingly especially when I take off my shoes.
5. My legs are working a little better but very uncoordinated by pre injury standards. I had an informal talk with a neurologist and he said. " Basically you are going through a major "reboot" and you will be fine in 6 months".
6. My head is feeling pretty good but it has its tender spots.
Not saying these things as complaints but as information. Number 5 has got me concerned but I need to give it and all the items Time.
A friend asked me the other day how I was really doing with this whole thing? Am I really this "up"about the whole thing? Have I put myself in a corner with portraying this resilient attitude?
Answer- I remember coming out of surgery 4 with a VAC back on my head. That was some hard news to hear and it took a couple days to get it together. I was pretty down as I shared in a previous post. It was kind of funny that after Dr. Miua saw me he upped some medication I am taking and shortly after that I got a visit from the staff Phsycologist (Jonathan). Jonathan is a cool guy and talking to him is fun but I learned that one must be careful what they say in a hospital!! ha. I admit I was getting agitated with the whole head wrap deal, partly because some of it did not make sense to me. There were some days when I felt beat up particularly when I was basically blind with Iritus and after getting my sight back( thank you Dr. Baskin) I went to a doc appointment for my head and they poked and picked and packed and I had not taken any pain meds. Yes that was a hard day but really I feel thankful and blessed and ready to go on. I must give credit to God for getting me through this without great mental anguish. HE is Stronger than any situation. To tell you the truth I am way more affected by the fog than this injury. I have SAD, Seasonal Affected Disorder. The fog monster comes into Santa Barbara seemingly often and it really gets to me. I try to fight through it but after a few days I sometimes get down. Again, not complaining but sharing. Enough of this.
I was able to get on my bike in a real way yesterday. I rode 6 miles. It felt good and I went along at a pretty god clip. When my muscles are under tension they work better. Cycling has been something I have been doing most of my life so it is a good fit.
Sorry this update did not come sooner. My computer is on the blink and I didn't realize how easy it was to post from another computer.
Well I need to go. Chores to do, push ups to conquer and I was even thinking of trying some hits on my speed bag, ( boxing bag hangs from a platform....good for coordination).
Thanks for listening, praying and being the best support a fellow could ever have.
I will be posting about once a week until there is no more to say in case you want to know.
Stay tuned for next weeks post..I need you to remind me of something.
Todd

5 comments:

  1. This is all great news! How encouraging! We're happy for you to get some happy news :-)

    The Seattle area is beautiful today. Lots of sunshine and great greens and blues. Byron has been doing office work at the computer all day (boring!) but then I dragged him out to the thrift store and he was happy to get some plates and bowls for our camping gear.

    We're going over to Whidbey on Saturday night to hear the boys play a coffee shop gig. Then 2 services on Sunday at a supporting church. Oh and Byron did great when we did the sermon together last week. He surprised even himself with how calm and prepared he was.

    Sorry so newsy...

    We send love from WA. byron and lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This touches my heart Todd. Thanks so much for sharing. Susie Buie Noe

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited you are "free" Todd!! God has done amazing work in 70 days (+ or - a few). We are so thankful at the progress your body has made and the healing God has done. We continue to pray for you: mentally, emotionally and physically! and for the sun:) -s, a and o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, great to see you yesterday... you look fantastic (and smell great I might add). It's nice to know I'm not the only "old fogie" that remembers "Phil the Phog Monster". Keep up the great attitude, it's infectious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd,
    I have not been sending comments since they did not seem to go through, but have been following your progress with prayers and healing wishes. I will try one more time! You are one courageous fellow through this whole ordeal. Much love to you and your family.
    Maureen Russell

    ReplyDelete