Saturday, April 11, 2009

Surgery , Here I come!!

Dr. Peter Grossman took a look at my head yesterday, Friday April 10th and said it was time to make some decisions. The wound bed still did not look the way he wanted so a basic skin graft will not work. What they are going to do is called a "Flip" in laymens terms. CENSOR...might get yucky hear for some.
Picture if you will a 6 inch square with a 3 inch circle in the middle. The 6 inch square would represent the total scalp to be worked on the the 3 inch circle is my wound. Now draw a line down the middle of this square and separate it. You now have two 3 inch by 6 inch rectangles with a half cirlcle on the side of it looking like a bite was taken out of it. Now take those two 3x6 inch pieces and flip them 180 degrees so that the half circle or "bite" is on the out side of the 6 x6 inch box. This in affact covers my wound with vascular 3 layer skin and allows it to join together. I now have two half moon open areas that need skin and those areas ( at or about at my hat line , you know, where a hat band might wrap around your head) will get a normal skin graft. If they have enough room they will take the needed skin from another area on my head or from my thigh. My wound will be covered by a healthy head of hair while the sides of my head will be bald.
I will be leaving SB at 3:30 am Wed morning April 15th and be under the knife around 6am or so. You might be thinking that this is going to hurt and I guess it will but I need to go forward or go crazy having this tube coming out of my head. Pain makes me thankful for when I do not have pain. It is interesting that some of the most basic things in life are so wonderful. A hot shower, a good meal, not being in pain ect. If you are ever feeling sorry for yourself that you can not go on vacation or do something fun just don't take a shower for 8 days and when you take a shower, you will fee like you are on vacation! And yes lather up that scalp and scrub real hard, it to is a nice pleasure. You see folks, this accident has been a good reminder for me not to complain. The simple pleasures in life are a gift to us and often overlooked. Please remind me of this when you see me complain, I am sure my complaining is not over! ha.
I also wanted to mention that my fingers are offically un wrapped and open to the air. They are kind of grungy looking, a little stiff and just a bit numb but last night I got to do one of those simple pleasures, I washes my two hands together for the first time in 3 weeks!! Heck I'm on Vacation!!
Mucho Gusto ( kind of a joke while at Ensanada when asked if I liked some food and I said "nice to met you")
See ya---------Todd
Romans 11: 33-36

6 comments:

  1. Todd, did you ever see that kid's movie, "the Incredibles?" I'll be praying you get the scalp of "Elastogirl"!
    Your blogs are such an encouragement (and God is using them to challenge me in a few key areas).
    I appreciate you, and I will be praying that this surgery is a success.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, thanks so much for the update which gives us more to pray for you and your family. Thank you for the reminder not to complain and to really be thankful for what we have. I know my family is thankful that I can shower, but for me a shower will never be the same again...I am going on vacation. I also wish that a bunch of us guys could all donate a little strip of our scalp for you. Although I don't think my brown balding strip of scalp is the look you are going for. If you change your mind let me know. God is good. The Wrights send their love.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan and I will be praying for you during your surgery, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd, God is indeed good and we continue to praise him his goodness to you (and us) by keeping you around and reminding us of the thread we all dangle by and the graciousness of our Father who holds on to it.

    We will remain in prayer for you as you continue this journey.

    Dan & Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Todd! We got your nice note and I'm sure Byron will be wanting to hatch plans with you about your cool ideas. All well here. We've just had an amazing Easter morning with many good folks in the Lisboa Matrix. It started at sunrise on the mountain and ended up with everyone gathered at Uhlers for pancakes and worship. Very fun. We get on an early plane for London and then LA tomorrow. Woo hooo! We'll look forward to seeing you soon. We'll be praying for your surgery. Byron and Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good reminder to be thankful for little things and not grumble! A reminder we all need often! We will continue to pray, especially Wed. morning! (Hope you paid your taxes before you go in on Tax Day:)
    love, The Hempys

    ReplyDelete