Saturday, April 4, 2009

Party Fingers Tidbits

Good Day to all of you.
There were somewhere between 100-200 sightings of Todd yesterday at his party. Lots of hugging, a few tears and no wrestling! A BIG THANK YOU to all who came to the party. Heather said to me, "boy you have a lot of friends...I think you have more than me" I don't know about all that but I do know I am surrounded by great people, loving people and people who really care. It is ironic that one might need to go through something like this in order to really see the height and width and breadth and depth of this Love. Amazing. I am also touched by the new friendships I have made. Thank you seems to come up short.
I had my fingers checked yesterday and the Mepolex that came off had to go back on. Not quite healed yet. No problem. Mepolex ( sp ) is basically a 1/8 inch thick foam rubber that is impregnated with a bunch of good healing stuff including some form of silver. All of my other burns were covered in this wonder wrap. I really appreciate this stuff but after they took the Mepolex off my arms and neck I felt like a new person. Let's hope the fingers are ready for the rest of their open air healing when they look at my head on Monday. As you may know we are hoping and praying that the awesome docs at GBC will say its time to get my head closed up.
Tidbits?
Some of you may have read some notes on my time in the Hyperberic Chamber. This chamber is used to promote healing by putting your entire body in this large clear tube. While in this tube you are fed a steady diet of 100% O2 at a simulated depth of 33 feet under water. This light pressure and 100% Oxygen push into the skin and entire body. My wonderful respiratory therapists, Herb and Steve did a great job getting me comfortable with a piece of gum, reassurance, skill and a cool movie to make the 85 minute therapy go by faster. Those who are claustrophobic might find this experience tough but after the 10 sessions I had it was old hat.
Got a chance to see some of my great nurses while at GBC on Friday. Get ready because "I'll be baack" Couldn't think of a better bunch to take care of me after my next surgery!
I keep learning little things about the course of the accident and Heather reminded me that I texted her on that Thursday morning asking her to pray for safety. What is odd is that I am not the most belt and suspenders kind of guy. I also had this great need to ask for the same prayers on Wed. night when the Westmont Prayer and Worship team came by. Did God answer this prayer or not? I had a chance to fall through the rafters but did not, I had a chance to fall 26 feet to the concrete below on the end of the building, 22 feet to fall off the side of the building, I had no acute trauma, my ekg's were like nothing happened, I spent a long time getting off the roof and to 2 Esanada hospitals and then a 1.5 hours trip to UCSD. Any kind of bodily function failure would have been tough to overcome. The surgeons at GBC were getting ready to drill my skull based on the data from UCSD. When they opened me up they saw no need to get rid of what looked like dead bone. There was also fear that my brain would swell but id did not. Ok I will stop. You can decide for yourself whether or not Got answered this prayer. Question for you:
Is your cup half empty or half full?
Blessing to all of you. Breakfast is ready...Thanks Heather for all your care...What a gift.
Todd

8 comments:

  1. Your posts are a blessing- keep them coming Todd. I am glad that my tears that flow as I read are tears of Joy and tears of thankfulness for this GREAT God we know, and who decided to keep you this side of Heaven longer. Its selfish, I know, but we are so glad to have you here. We love you bunches Todd and it was a treat to celebrate your LIFE yesterday... and every day. xoo
    (Jill) (for The Bakers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Todd,

    My mom has been forwarding your blog to Tyler and I. We are SO HAPPY that you are recovering so well. Our prayers are with you. Let's hit the Colorado again soon! :) Paula & Tyler & Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing all of these heart felt thoughts -- God is in all of our lives but this gives us an chance to share in the miracle of his involvement in your life

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love hearing your updates... and from your own hand! There are a million blessings to be thankful for! We will keep praying for you and your family as you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Todd, I just wanted to say how very thankful I am you are doing so well. I have thought about you and prayed for you so much these past few weeks (and your family too). I wish we could have been at your "Thankful Todd is Alive Party", so we could give you a hug, but are just so happy it was taking place. I will continue to pray and thank God for his many mercies, and for continued healing. Shari Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Todd and Heather! It was great to see you guys on Friday. I loved your blog from yesterday. Thanks for what you said. My cup is full to overflowing today - thank you very much - and I am thankful for you! You, Todd Ridenour are the coolest, sweetest dude in the universe and I can't wait to see you at church. I think we'll be friends for a long time because somehow RC planes and helicopters have made it so! I am praying for you tomorrow. Love to your family!

    nancy (gibson)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI TODD! THank you so much for sharing with us! I can't thank God enough for how he protected you. Through this experience, I have learned that God's love is sooo much greater and POWERFUL than I ever imagine. I have been truly blessed by your story. I really think you should write a book one day. Avery could draw your book cover! =)
    Charles and I are so bummed about missing Friday!! Hopefully we can get a rain check for a hug? =) We hope to see u soon! please let us know if there is anything we can do
    So thankful to God,
    Elisia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from Portugal and the Borden crew make their way slowly from Tanzania to California. It's so good to catch up on your blog posts this morning. We've been staying with Marty and Carey (though we're up in Porto right now) and I think of Jim as we climb up the super cool ladder he made to the sleeping loft, which he also made, in their guest room.

    We continue to praise God for his care over you, and we continue to pray more and more healing.

    We send love.

    Byron and lisa

    ReplyDelete