Thursday, April 2, 2009

Some Facts or near facts of the accident

Good evening friends and family.
I thought I would try and give as many facts as I could of the accident. Many have come in the middle of all this and much of what I am going to say could possibly be found somewhere in the pages of this blog. The following will be choppy and short.
I was in Ensanada Mexico working on a Church with a group called Potters Clay. This Westmont College led minsitry goes to Ensanada every year to build, play sports, and put on a whole vacation bible school event as well. ( More than that too)
I was shocked when my head touched a 13,500 volt open line that was 32 feet off the ground. Notice I said shock and not electrocution. Electrocution would mean that I died. The peak of our structure was 26 feet. This line had gone un noticed as we had to concentrate so much on our footing below. I was at the peak ready to lay some more ply wood and ZAP!! Did it hurt? Never felt a thing. Witnesses said I had an orange glow around my head. I was standing of the top of the open framed roof and fell onto the ply wood side of the roof. My head landed a foot from the edge of the roof and my body lay inbound of that. I was continuing to flop down and off the roof when my HERO Jim Peterson grabbed my tool belt and pulled me to safety. Later through another sheepish story telling of what happpened, Jim mumbled off the part about my face scraping across the asphalt shingles as he instinctively pulled me to safety. This detail for some reason gave me a real good needed laugh. Thanks Jim, hopefully some scars will stay to remind me of you. ( seriously).
I was unconscience for a good 2 minutes and lasped in and out for the 30 minutes I lay on the roof. I was rushed to a local hospital only to be sent to another that might have a CATSCAN machine. Later I took an ambulance ride to San Diego and met the SDSU ambulance. My fearless brother and myself met a EMT medic and a RN. They sent an RN to help out with the severity of the situation I guess. My brother was being interviewed by the RN to get all the data on me. SDSU was intending to take me to the burn center. The very calm cool RN asked about the amount opf voltage I was shocked with and when Jeff told her is was 13.5KV she lost her composure and said Holy **** we got to take him to the trauma center now!! We have had many good laughs from that one ( Jeff tells the story the best) . I spent near 4 days in SDSU and was transferred to GBC ( Grossman Burn Center) I spent about a week there and now am home. I sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my right 3 fingers on right hnad, right forarm, arm, shoulder burns. My face was cut up ( ha) but the real doosy is my head. I got a 4thish degree burn up there and this is what is causing some head scratching on their part ha. It's a tricky wound and will need some kind of skin graft. I will know more next week. I wait for surgery with this VAC thing stuck to my head to keep the wound bed healing but not healing over. Skin grafts have to be done perfectly or they will not take. You and I can only receive our own skin for a permantant skin graft. This is what is so brutal about burns. First you get burned , then you get kind of peeled to fix your burns. By what I saw at GBC, I got off easy. Many ( Including our code named "Hope" suffer much worse. If you happen to be praying for me, please ask God for his mercy on the patients who occupy 34 beds at the GBC. Lord come quickly.
Hope to see you FRIDAY April 3rd at our house from 5-7pm for the Todd Is Alive Party. Don't beleive me? Just come on over, we can hug, wrestle and cry together. OK forget the wrestle part. Good night.

6 comments:

  1. Todd, So happy that you got to come home on Tuesday...I know Gracie was thrilled!! Bummed we will miss the celebration tonight. We are leaving to go out of town at noon today. Know that we haven't stopped praying! -s, a and o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearing your story through your own words brings tears of joy to my heart as we ALL praise our good God for your life! What a gift you are!
    Loves,
    Sirica & the boys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, quite a story. Glad you are able to fill us in on everything with such openness. Continue to heal my friend. And, oh yea, we're gonna wrestle. It's been, what, 30 years since our last "bout"? LOL. God Bless you and yours.

    Mike Byrne

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi todd
    my brother is richard mosher. he told me your incredible story last week. you are truly a blessed man!!!! that was not luck. that was the lord doing his work. heal quickly and god bless you and your family .
    jean gibson
    solon, maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is so good!
    He will continue to use you Todd!

    ReplyDelete