Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Half year mark.

Since my last surgery I have been down to the GBC several times for check ups. The good folks down there want to keep a close watch on these stubborn scar lines to make sure they heal up OK. I am on the last little itty bitty healing from my last scalpel encounter on Aug 19th. Everything looks fine and is healing up.
I am on my mountain bike 2-3 per week and getting stronger every week. My legs still feel weird but I am able to ride. My upper body is very weak and I need to get off my butt a little more and do some workouts beyond the bike.
A couple of great high lites from my last visit to Grossman was that I was able to visit with "Hope." She was in the hospital at the same time I was back in March. it was so great to talk to her. Hope will undergo a surgery in a couple of weeks to release the scar tissue on her neck. She is excited and scared to have the surgery. Nice to get the movement back but it is a pretty big surgery to. I suppose her littlest surgery was more invasive than my biggest procedures. Please pray for her. Talk about a tough person.
Moments after that inspiring visit I walked down the street to meet some friends I had not seen in 27 years. It was fun to catch up with Lori and Michele after such a long break. Pretty good emotional day if I really think about it.
I still get asked ( or told) from time to time that this whole deal has got to be really hard emotionally and physically. You know, all the pain, weakness and new wild hair do! I am settling to the fact that I have a crazy looking head but I feel more sorry about the person in the checkout line wondering what in the heck happened to that guy! ha. I catch people looking at me all the time. I am happy to talk about it but they have to ask first. I don't mean to be cavalier or cocky. Yes sometimes I look in the mirror or run my hands over my head in the shower and and think, Woah, dude, you got some issues up there...ha. but for the most part, the day to day and life I live, I am really fine with it. I guess all this tongue and cheek is be spoken because I am so thankful to be alive I don't care too much what I look like. You really have to try almost dying sometime to see what I mean. Life is a gift. Living longer than I should have is a gift. Vanity should be farther down our lists.
On a more somber note.
One of the toughest people I have know ( my mom ) Jackie is coming home from cancer treatments to wait out the inevitable. There is nothing more the good doctors can do for her. We are very sad. My mom has been a real "trooper" in all this. She does not complain. She continues to fight for life but it looks like things are winding down. Even when she is sicker than sick, she would always call me and see how my surgeries were going etc. She cares so much for her family that cancer will not let her stop caring and loving. Please pray for her, Fritz and our whole family as we go through this. I am blessed with a great mother. For 45 years she has shown me strength, service, love, an excellent sense of humor and a great example of a godly woman.
What about you? Are you seeing things as you should? God is the same today yesterday and forever. We are the ones changing, getting old, or hurt, or dismayed. Stay the course. For those who Love Him, we are just making a pit stop. My mom will hurt no more and for that I am grateful. Tearful? Yes, but oh so grateful.
Todd
PS--Don't forget to pray for Jacob Kirkendall. he is home for now and doing well but has a long road to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment